Friday, January 20, 2012

Excuses . . . Excuses . . . Excuses

Excuses . . .  Excuses . . . Excuses


In today’s society  people tend to have  an answer for everything they do,  or say.   For the longest time  I realized yes I had been doing that too,  however . . . it wasn’t until I was sitting in an office at work, waiting to start my one on one did I notice a little  plaque  that had a saying on it that really hit me. 

“The difference between excuses and a reason is:
If I take away a reason you’ll move forward;
If I take away an excuse another will follow”

Now this really got me thinking, too many times anything we say is not really a reason but an excuse.   Does anyone really have  a reason for what they do or has the world become nothing but excuses?  Don’t get me wrong,  I am in with the people who have excuses,  I wont deny it at all.

But first lets take a look at what an excuse is:  Dictionary.com  states that an excuse is:


1. to regard or judge with forgiveness or indulgence; pardon or forgive; overlook (a fault, error, etc.): Excuse his bad manners.


2. To offer an apology for; seek to remove the blame of: He excused his absence by saying that he was ill.


3. To serve as an apology or justification for; justify: Ignorance of the law excuses no one.


4. To release from an obligation or duty: to be excused from jury duty.


5. To seek or obtain exemption or release for (oneself): to excuse oneself from a meeting.

 Now in seeing this definition, some things come to mind,   really how I see an excuse is a idea for not doing something.  In a way, it is like trying to take the blame off of ones self and placing it either onto someone else or an object or anything else.   Excuses come way too  easily  to most people,  they rather  remove blame from themselves instead of  standing up and apologizing for it.  What can people be a real adult and if you made a mistake,  or have a problem  then  don’t make excuses for it.

A reason, as defined by Dictionary.com


1. a basis or cause, as for some belief, action, fact, event, etc.: the reason for declaring war.

2. A statement presented in justification or explanation of a belief or action.

3. The mental powers concerned with forming conclusions, judgments, or inferences.

4. Sound judgment; good sense.

5. Normal or  sound powers of mind; sanity.


Now a reason is legit, like for example the reason I did not come to work on time was that I feel and broke my ankle.  Now if you removed the broken ankle,   then you would have still came to work on time if you hadn’t.  Sure it would be looked at as an excuse, but it’s a legit one.  An event out of your control caused you to miss something.  Had you purposely broke your own ankle to get out of something, then not only are you crazy but then it becomes an excuse.  

It’s really how you look at it, if done on purpose it could be an excuse, if done by accident, something just happened is it a reason.  I just know that excuse has been used way to much now as ways to get out of things that people do not want to do, or do not want to take the blame for.

Now back to the quote, this quote, I took a good look at and realized that I in fact make way to many excuses.     I realized that I in fact ended to change.  Now this worked out for a short bit, however, then I fell back into the excuse habit again.  But upon recent events, I realized that I hate excuses and its time for this habit to be officially broken.  So once again its back to work on fixing this issue/


Now back to the Thank you topic, been observing this for the past few days and some days are worse then others, you can tell the bad days from the good days for people but then you still have to wonder are they really having a bad day or are they the type that does not say thank you at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment